Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Four Years...

It seemed like an awfully long time when I was a freshman in high school. Four years to think about what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go, and who I wanted to be. As I approach the last of those four years, I might be ever more clueless than when I started this adventure we call high school. I thought there would be a moment where I just knew, after reflection and consideration, that I would all of the sudden understand what my purpose in life was. Unfortunately, that moment is yet to come. And now, as I apply to colleges, as I tell those colleges my intended major, and as I write essays about why that is my intended major, I can't help but feel as though I may never actually know what I want to do.

The years I've spent in high school have not been, as I expected, years of consideration and contemplation as to what my future would hold, but rather years of getting by and occupying myself until I realized that I'm going to be a senior in less than two weeks. If there's any advice I would give my freshmen self, it would either be to lower my expectations, or to do something about them. High schools seems like a long time when you're a freshman, but if you put off thinking about what you want to do with your life until it becomes a more relevant issue, then you're going to find yourself clueless when it comes time to make that decision.

This blog is entitled High Schools Survival, and the best advice I can give to someone looking to survive high school is to figure out what you want to do after high school before the time comes when you're out of high school.

If you don't believe me now, just wait until you blink your eyes, opening them to find yourself in the first class of your senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment